How to change the default encryption method used by xenforo?

Mariana Zapata

Registered

I have been making configurations in the xenforo password hash file, which supposedly is the file related to encryption and password verification, my goal is to change the encryption method that xenforo uses by default which in this case is (BCRYPT), but the truth is I don't know where these configurations are made if in the authentication folders or in the log folders. If you have any idea I would appreciate it very much.

UNKNOWN PH

RUSH ARMY
Registered

In XenForo, the default encryption method for password hashing is indeed BCRYPT. Changing the encryption method involves modifying the relevant code within XenForo's files. However, it's crucial to note that modifying the core files of XenForo may lead to compatibility issues with future updates, and it is generally not recommended. If you still decide to proceed, it is highly advised to create a backup before making any changes.

To change the default encryption method, you will need to locate the file responsible for password hashing. In XenForo, this is typically the `XenForo_Authentication_Core` class. You can find this class in the `library/XenForo/Authentication/Core.php` file.

Below is a general example of how you might modify the file to change the default encryption method:

1. Open the `library/XenForo/Authentication/Core.php` file.

2. Locate the `_generateHash()` method, which is responsible for hashing passwords.

3. Look for the line where the default encryption method is specified. It may look like this:

Code:
   ```php

$hashFunc = 'bcrypt';

```

4. Change `'bcrypt'` to the desired encryption method. For example, if you want to use SHA-256, you might change it to:

Code:
  ```php

$hashFunc = 'sha256';

```

Note: XenForo supports different authentication methods, and you may need to adapt the code accordingly.

5. Save the file.

After making these changes, new passwords should be hashed using the specified method. However, existing users' passwords will still be hashed using the old method. If you need to update existing users' passwords to the new method, you may need to implement a mechanism for handling this transition carefully.

Remember to thoroughly test your changes in a development environment before applying them to a live site. Additionally, keep in mind that modifying core files might affect the support and upgradeability of your XenForo installation.