If you are thinking to install a new XF site, just wait for v. 2.2.

zeus1971

Collaborate
Collaborate
Registered

This is just my 2 cents hint for new people that would like mount or install a new XF site.
With the actual (stable) 2.1 version you would have a very good version, but probably ( quite sure..) you will need some addons.
In the new (BETA at the moment) 2.2 version, you have many features included in the standard version. No addons needed in many cases. And many 2.1 addons will not work in this new version.
So, my hint is to wait a little more if you are thinking to start with XF, and mount/install directly a new fresh 2.2 version, play and adjust it to your need. Than if you really need some addon, search for 2.2 compatible addons.

Regards.

ENXF NET

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
+Lifetime VIP+
S.V.I.P.S Member
S.V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Collaborate
Registered

I'm also waiting for complete XF2.2

Kenpachi

Registered

It will be the more complete version that does not need many addons, we have to be very careful when updating to that version. Make backup before doing anything, I also recommend doing the update in an hour that there is not much activity in the forum.

thomsa

Staff member
S.V.I.P Member
Collaborate
Registered

i use 2.1 becouse when 2.2 release to upgrade them.

zeus1971

Collaborate
Collaborate
Registered

Mhh...reading moderators in the oficial XF forum...it seems that the next expected will be the release candidate, so my estimation viewing the devolepers speed, is end of septmber to have a stable version.

friend

Registered

Hi, I am thinking to buy XF licence, Can anyone answer my questions please.

Q: If I buy a licence now (next few days) will it cover me for XF 2.2.x when it's released and not in beta?
Q: Do I need a domain name &/or Web hosting before I buy?

And finally, With a licence do I have access to older XF versions? (like stable 2.1.10)

many thanks

ENXF NET

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
+Lifetime VIP+
S.V.I.P.S Member
S.V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Collaborate
Registered

If you buy now, you can download the complete version xf2.1.10 patch 2 and xf2.2 beta, scheduled for late December for complete version xf2.2.

zeus1971

Collaborate
Collaborate
Registered

If you set localhost as domain in XF licence, you can download it anyway, and use it in a test environment. And change it when you have a domain and host

friend

Registered

thanks all,

@ thomas Thanks for fast reply, glad to have access to 2.1.10_p2 stable version while xf2.2.x is still in beta

@zeus just what I was planning to setup for now on localhost. Nice one thanks

@enxf I was hoping to access xf2.1.10 p2 as said it's stable but hoping to get full access to xf2.2.x when out of beta testing.

Thanks

Replicant

SVIP Member
S.V.I.P Member
Registered

Anyway it shouldn't be a titanic task to migrate 2.1 addons to be 2.2 compatible. XF is not changing drastically their development framework and the biggest changes that will come, development speaking, are related to the thread types and the editor. So the addons focused on them will be the ones more suffering with the adaption.

I advise to take a look on the addon's author, about his/her engagement, updates periodicity, activity in XF forums, etc. That could be an indicator about if he/she will migrate his/her work to be 2.2 compatible.

zeus1971

Collaborate
Collaborate
Registered

Agree, but you can find that a 2.1 environment is "finally" working as expected or as you want, and after upgrading find a lot of addons (or some important for you) not working. And also spent a lot of time to setup... addons, maybe for nothing

valid

+Lifetime VIP+
+Lifetime VIP+
V.I.P Member
Registered

I'm a licensed user of XF2.1. But I got nulled version of XF2.1 installed. I wonder what will happen if I install the official version over my current nulled version? Will anything bad happen?

And what if after my current license expired, I upgrade the licensed version with a nulled version? Will they know it?

zeus1971

Collaborate
Collaborate
Registered

For what I know, no problem to be "legal" if you order later a license for a nulled XF.
Just set your site in your legal license, and upgrade it with the oficial version.
basically the problem is with BAD nulled XF, where files check is not passed when you try to upgrade.

billybobz

Registered

As compared and stated here, the failure rate of addons XF2.1 addons in a XF2.2 environment is minimal. Too many ppl are making blanket assumptions regarding 2.1 addons without trying them first. So far....Reactions Plus, Post Reply, and XF2 Awards System (update will be released next week) are the only ones which have failed for me.

While these results are anecdotal, they do serve to prove this overall assumption by many to be false. Each addon needs to be tested and verified individually.