When and where did vBulletin go so wrong?

ItsAsylum

Registered

I can remember when I was first coming into the forum game and wanted VB so bad but just couldn't afford it. I had to wind up settling for smf at the very beginning of things which wasn't bad and they did their job for a very long time. at that time id say that Vb was the leading forum software, almost every major site running a forum community was using it. Then all of a sudden it took a drastic fall to the likes of (at the time) IPB and then xenforo. so what really went wrong? I know there are people still using it, but it just does not seem to sit at the top of the forum empire as it once did.

TrickyRicky

Collaborate
Collaborate
Registered

I must agree. Id say it wen't downhill around 8 years ago when devs started creating for ipb and the amount of hackers there was Vbulletin was far from safe bet. So applications went to ips and xen so did the users. But the fact that social media was just getting its mega status did not help forum era seemed to pass and people as were looking for the next new thing.

ItsAsylum

Registered

yeah social media definitely was a big hit to the forum world. My forums had started to die out a couple years after facebook had taken over so i moved over to running an image board that became quite popular but that too eventually just took the hit from facebook and died off.

ItsAsylum

Registered

side note i didn't know that the VB people created for IPB.

TrickyRicky

Collaborate
Collaborate
Registered

Yup same i started an image board using Pixelphoto and gostock no forum i'm now running wowonder site but find it hard to get used to the format

ItsAsylum

Registered

@TrickyRicky i didn't get that fancy i just had a slightly modified tinyboard script.

I was actually looking at wowwonder and considering giving it a install to play around with. Is it more like a Facebook rather than a forums site?

TrickyRicky

Collaborate
Collaborate
Registered

@ItsAsylum Its like facebook with more options its quite amazing and the version iv uploaded here is true 100% safe and tested. the only thing is iv made some mods to my version i have on like having dark mode as default and a few other bits if you decide to play and need help hit me up.