XF performance with local data or external cloud storage

fmsc88

Collaborate
Collaborate
Registered

@zeus1971
Keep Local Copy
Enable this option to keep a local copy in default locations. Doing this allow you to disable/uninstall this add-on anytime without any disruption in serving attachments.

All images you upload at resource manager are stored in external storage using this addon.
And this option exists for "external storage" option ?
Yes, the files this addon uploads at external storage will be and on your server.

zeus1971

Collaborate
Collaborate
Registered

@fmsc88 yes I know. The problems is that files are renamed, and probably also in DB links and others values are modified. So go back..is not clear to me. I can't see any "keep a copy to original folders..." or " restore original files and configuration...".

fmsc88

Collaborate
Collaborate
Registered

@zeus1971
The problems is that files are renamed
when they upload at external storage, honestly i don't used the option i suggested because i don't care too much for the files. I have more or less 2000 images and i can change them manually if something happens.

zeus1971

Collaborate
Collaborate
Registered

@fmsc88 Do you mean renamed the files, move them to original folder (internal_data) and nothing else ? I think is more complicated than that...DB value need to be updated too, for sure.

fmsc88

Collaborate
Collaborate
Registered

@zeus1971 as i remember in a discusion i had with the dev he said " using the option Keep Local Copy the files will upload first on your server and then will go to external server,the the file will rename in proces uploading to external server"

I would suggest you to make some tests first to be sure, this is the best way.

zeus1971

Collaborate
Collaborate
Registered

@fmsc88 yes the problem with this addon is that test are dengerous, restore original configuration some times is possible only with restore from full backup...:-/

fmsc88

Collaborate
Collaborate
Registered

@zeus1971 tests we do on other site, not the main live site.

Because the addon can't be used on localhost you should buy an very cheap server and domain and do there your tests.
Godaddy server 12$/year (first year) with free domain ;)

zeus1971

Collaborate
Collaborate
Registered

@fmsc88 I'm not in localhost. Simply I don't need external storage. I need CDN, and due to limitations of XF with Internal_data, I installed this addon. ( in external_data full images can be cached with CDN )

fmsc88

Collaborate
Collaborate
Registered

@zeus1971
Simply I don't need external storage
you shall say this hahaha

something like $config['externalDataUrl'] = 'https://xxxx.cloudfront.net/data'; (i use this for js only)

zeus1971

Collaborate
Collaborate
Registered

@fmsc88 Yes, me too for my CDN. ( cdn.mydomain.com/data..)
But, I don't need learn how to CDN my images...in config.php, I need to know how (just in case...) go back with this addon, restore the standard previous XF configuration (without loosing images).

fmsc88

Collaborate
Collaborate
Registered

@zeus1971 you're messing things bro, cdn is not storing your files (you don't upload files on cdn). your files are on your server, cdn is cashing your images and serving the files around the world.

zeus1971

Collaborate
Collaborate
Registered

@fmsc88 Yes, I know. But again, AT THE MOMENT , I don't need external (cloud) storage.
I would like to know ONLY how to restore (just in case..) a previuos XF default configuration ( and images of course...), after have installed this addon.

zeus1971

Collaborate
Collaborate
Registered

@fmsc88 You are not understanding the topic...
I KNOW how to switch on or off from be served by a CDN. The point is HOW restore a previous configuration (and images/files) after have installed db attachments store addon (becouse it moves file to external data, and for sure modifying also DB...)

zeus1971

Collaborate
Collaborate
Registered

@fmsc88 Again..., I know, forget CDN ! I simply explain you WHY , I installed this addon. ( to cache full image size, moving them to external_data. In internal_data is not possible..)

fmsc88

Collaborate
Collaborate
Registered

@zeus1971 Above you said I don't want external server, now you're saying forget cdn.
What's the real question oeo?

This add-on is only to store the files on external server

zeus1971

Collaborate
Collaborate
Registered

@fmsc88 No. This addon allow you to store files also in external data folder, that can be cached by CDN. Not only in external cloud storage.
Files in /data folder can be cached by CDN
Files in /internal_data folder can't be cached by CDN.
The real question is, how to go back, restore a previuos configuration (standard XF configuration) having the files in their original folder ( internal_data) with their original names, and working. This is is the question...

thomsa

Staff member
S.V.I.P Member
Collaborate
Registered

internal_data folder protect with .htaccess