How to work on a new style on a active forum ?!

rigarus99

Registered

I'm just wondering how to change the style (theme) of my forum without the approximately 120 active users noticing anything.
There are many template and addon adjustments that I have to make after switching to a new style.
This will probably take place over a few days.

Now, what's the best way to go about this without the user noticing the constant style change?
A solution I would think of is a fullscreen "site is under construction" page, that shows up when the url is called

But with such a solution I ask myself how do I get to my site for testing and viewing?
Finally, I use the same urls as, for example the active user would try to reach..,

forum.com/resources
forum.com/forum
forum.com/members
forum.com/register
.......Etc

What would you do in my position ?
I know the subject rather less so I would be happy for your help

rigarus99

Registered

Thanks for your answer !

oh that is possible ?
very smart solution. But how can i set this up ?
Its the User Settings right ?

I need to change the style in my user options right ?
1647237003953.png

Last edited:

meiji

Registered

This is probably not the best way but what I've done is created a new style that is only available to admins (by toggling off the switch). Played around with the templates, extra.css etc until I'm happy with it, then basically switched it back on

rigarus99

Registered

Could you explain that a little bit more in detail how to do that ?

i only have this switches but when i switch, it switches for all.
1647258331731.png

meiji

Registered

Even if you have the toggles switched off you can still use it as the admin while you test it out. Just go into your profile preferences in the frontend, and set the style that you're testing (it will have an * next to it)

DarKMaSk

Registered

I'm just wondering how to change the style (theme) of my forum without the approximately 120 active users noticing anything.
There are many template and addon adjustments that I have to make after switching to a new style.
This will probably take place over a few days.

Now, what's the best way to go about this without the user noticing the constant style change?
A solution I would think of is a fullscreen "site is under construction" page, that shows up when the url is called

But with such a solution I ask myself how do I get to my site for testing and viewing?
Finally, I use the same urls as, for example the active user would try to reach..,

forum.com/resources
forum.com/forum
forum.com/members
forum.com/register
.......Etc

What would you do in my position ?
I know the subject rather less so I would be happy for your help
r4z0rknownI prefer to do all my experiments in my PC (localhost with XAMPP) on a backup of my live forum. Before experimenting, I create a child theme and start experimenting. After I become satisfied, I upload the theme and the child-theme to the server and apply them. Problem solved.